Speedcar No. Queensland 34 is the Nick Collier Alfa. The car is owned by Jose Sanchez and it is the only unrestored midget that runs on a regular basis in club demonstrations. The photo on the left was taken at a static display at a Sydney suburban school and the one on the right shows Q34 being driven on the Sydney Showground by George Tatnell on the 18/4/96, which was the Press night before the final two meeting at the Royale in 1996.
Rob Smart in the ex Herb Elliot NSW 77, the car, not Rob, was affectionately known as "Dopey". It was originally brought down from Qld. by Lou Marshall and was numbered Q8, it has a fantastic history and was involved in some monumental smashes. Powered by a six cylinder Holden grey engine.
Andy Warwick steers his ex Morton and May Repco Holden NSW 24, around the Royale at the Final meeting on 27/4/96. The car from the Eric Morton stable was very successful in the hands of New Zealander "Big Red" Kevin Gormly in the 1960s.
NSW 3, one of the famous Ron Ward air cooled V Twins, driven here by it's restorer, John Waldock. The car is owned by Julie Buksin and has a colorful history, being raced by Johnny Peers and Don Pollock. # 3 is now driven by Julie's son, Matthew.
The car that started Sir Jack Brabham on his rise to fame, NSW 28. The car was first raced by American Johnny Schonberg as USA28, Brabham then took over and the rest is history. #28 originally ran a J.A.P 880 air cooled V twin, now the engine runs all hand made parts as the 880 parts are so rare. The car is owned by the Halliday family and is ably driven in club demonstrations by Andrew Halliday. The car was taken to Goodwood in England in 2004 and run with a lot of other Jack Brabham cars.
What a fantastic history NSW 2, the BERCO has !. It was brought to Australia in 1949 by Frank "Satan" Brewer as #10, renumbered 99 and powered by a Ford V860 engine, it was raced with great success by Frank throughout Australia. Harry Neale of SA later lost his life in the car. The Dark family bought the car and it was driven by most of the Sydney "greats" with it's famous BERCO Repco Holden engine.It is now owned by Bruce and Garry Arthurson of the A.C.T. and is a regular performer in VSA club events.
Victoria No.4, the ex Beasley Supercharged Peugeot. Restored by club member John Waldock the car once ran a Buick engine. # 4 is now owned by Peter Nunn.
The Eric Morton NSW24 air cooled V twin, driven here by owner Laurie O' Toole. Laurie also raced the car with some success in the 1960's. Wal Platt and Ron Ward both had a hand in its original race preparation.
SA 34 the ex Dud Lambert 6 cylinder Holden, owned and restored by Bathurst member Ted King. A regular club performer. The car was sold to John Nunn of Victoria in 2004.
SA 34 the ex Dud Lambert VW also owned by Ted King. This was one of the first VW's to race here. Shown here in action at the new Sydney Showground Homebush Bay, NSW.
No12 (VIC or NSW ?) this 4cyl Whippet engined midget is the club's oldest car, circa 1934. It was found in Dimboola Vic. and restored to it's era by Ted King of Bathurst. Now owned by Brian Linigen. It's history is unknown but it is a beautiul example of our early race cars.
The BERCO Repco headed 4 cylinder Volvo #77 is now owned again by it's original owner Bruce Arthurson of the ACT. Bruce repurchased #77 in 2007 after the car had run for many years under the ownership of VSA of NSW member Graham Curtis.
Click here to go to Page 2 of Restored VSA Midgets